Key Programs/Policies to support diversity in
Saturday Lunch Group 2
Addressing attrition through the ranks
- Identify critical points at which there may be a drop out. For example,
self-selecting out of honors courses or not applying to certain job ads.
Look for possible intervention strategies: extra mentoring, contact with
Mentoring through Critical Transition Points in the Math Sciences
- Other strategies addressing attrition: Review institutions reports from
- Change in Department Practices:
- Identify person in the administration (department head, dean,
associate dean, Vice President, Equity Office) who
i) is willing to support change
ii) has the authority to influence department practices
- Together with respected senior members in the department, work with
this person to develop new recruitment and hiring strategies,
recruitment targets, or new department practices.
- Work for reward strategies to effect change, rather than policies.
- Get your department to nominate women for awards.